Skip to main content

US Nationals 2009 Men’s event


The Men’s competition was shown live in NBC broadcast on Sunday evening.
…..


And it started from Johnny’s Free skate , and seeing his face right before he skated , I immediately felt , oh, no ! he is not on, no fire that was usually there before he skate in the past, and it’s not coming from only the nerve, but physically , something wrong with him. He looked so thin and not healthy.


I often saw his tiger fire eyes in the past, and I was hoping he gets those eyes again.

Looked like he was putting on fake tan to cover his face color, but even with it, it was clear to see he was not healthy enough.

I also felt that when I saw the photo of his Short Program in his fan’s message board.

But I tried to think he was just disappointed for his mistakes, and wanted to think he is okay.

When the Free skate started, Ray immediately went to the kitchen from the TV after set up to record it, and I went away to my office, but we could hear what
commentators were saying for his performance .


We just could not watch and handle our nerve to watch Johnny’s live skating then.

But since I heard that his first jumps became single axel,

I felt like

“ what !!! “

and rushed to the TV, but could not calmly watch sitting at the couch , so I was kept shouting “ Go Johnny, Go Go Go !! “

But Johnny’s fire passion didn’t appear.


After hearing the 1A , he did 3A+2T, it was beautiful, 2A ( I believe this was planned 2A ) then 3 loop became 2 loop, and fell on his final triple jump, but he did three combination jumps including 3+3+2. ( first time ?) and his artistry was beautiful and elegant as usual.

To me, it’s not about choreography and transition what he did, but HOW he moved.

I really dislike too much COP friendly structure program like Jeremy Abbot, Patrick Chan and Evan Lysacek are doing.

Johnny made three mistakes. And major mistake was his 3A which is usually his signature jump, and fell on 3F.

I was getting really heartbroken seeing his painful skating. This sad music might be influenced my feeling even more.

His health condition was even worse than I thought.
But I could see he tried his best he could and fought through it.


Scott Hamilton or Sandra were saying that Johnny’s coach Galina was trying to help his recover from his illness and build up his strength , but it was not enough time for full recovery by then.

Before the event, I was a little bit worried about his health condition after reading one of his interviews, but tried to remove all the negative thought. Also he lost 8 lb one day. He had to alter his costume for it.

He said that “ his condition is not the best , but not the worst “. at this time he might already know that he was not sure whether his body can handle it or not but wanted to try his best.

I was very heartbroken and when I went to bed on Sunday night , it was getting worse, I got stomachaches whole night and had sleepless night.

In the Kiss & Cry, Galina was holding his hand tightly Johnny almost cry. It’s nice to see Galina’s warm support for him when he was depressed.

I suppose his stomach virus he got during the Korean Christmas show trip must have been really bad.

I have never experienced that illness, so I can not imagine how his situation was, but I’ve heard that viral infection usually takes at least 2 weeks to full recover.

Besides, with Johnny’s tough schedule during GPS plus having flu, jet lag, it can take longer than that.

Lost 8 lb , non full recovery from the illness , not enough time for training, with this tough condition, I really think he did great.

He should compliment what he did himself.

I suppose not many people can handle this situation. People are often insensitive for other people’s health conditions and making their scenario from their imagination in wrong way.

Only Johnny knows the fact, how his condition was.

While I was watching it several times, in different ways, I thought it was not so bad performance.

While watching the live, I was more pay attention for his jumps and mistakes. But his major mistakes were only two.

3A and 3F. 3 loop became 2 loop is not so big deal. 

He did combination jumps three times. 3A+2T, 3+3+2 and 3+2.

His quality elegant, graceful movements were there as usual.

Also, his thinner body made more look effortless, light, delicate movements.
I like it.

While many other men’s skaters are doing aggressive skating, this performance looked somehow more unique.

Actually Jeremy Abbot also made some mistakes, a triple jump became single ( but not 3A), and also hand down on one of combo jumps, and one unstable landing, straight line step sequence was little slower than he did at GPF and it was not clean.

Evan Lysacek also fell on UR quad and made some mistakes, Brandon made minor mistakes.
So no one actually skated clean in this event for both programs.

Even though Brandon is not my taste of skater, he skated the best in FP IMO.

Johnny’s score ? I don’t think he was gifted any elements and also PCS.


Just surprised to see his straight line step sequence received level 1. And level 2 in his SP. Maybe it was more simple and not much power than he did in NHK, GPF ?

Even Daisuke Takahashi’s swan lake have received level 1 for it in Skate America 2007, so even small part of steps may be influenced from the level.


But what I could see is that Jeremy Abbot got the most advantage for this event, because of his record for this season. GPF title was big.

Honestly, I thought his score was way too high. Highest SP scores ever in Nationals ?

And his PCS 80 in his FP showed the most. PCS is actually very subjective.

I was already guessing that this event will be Jeremy’s win, they will try to push him to win unless he completely lose balance and fell on jumps many times. but was trying to avoid to think about that before the event.


His programs are COP friendly structure.

It’s very smart. To win, skaters may need to make that kind of structure. I didn’t like his movements especially in transition part, he is constantly moving and he sometimes lost music balance , legs and arms during the time, so it looks unpolished, and also unnatural.

But judges are not looking at those parts which I really care. His movements improved a lot though, some parts are good.

Brandon was good, but also not so a quality skater. 

Ray was saying that he looks like he is trying to be like Lambiel ?? 

He is still young, so he may improve a lot in the future. But not quite yet. Not so original and his movements are also unnatural, just doing many choreography with busy movements.

He has speed, power. And landed single quad. One minor mistake, but almost clean. Good job.

Evan Lysacek, I was wondering his 3A in his SP was full rotated ??

It was counted as full. But …. Who knows. He looked fine in his SP, but in his FP, his whole body looked so stiff and not so much energy in his straight line step sequence.
Looked nervous, and made a couple of mistakes.
Thank you Evan for changing the costume away from penguin tuxedo.


Right now, I’m very sensitive for every words about Johnny. So I don’t read any of media articles ( except for positive article about Johnny ), and also skating forums where there are variety fans for many skaters.

Being a huge fan of someone is sometimes so tough and stressful when the person is having problem and feel like one of my family.

Why am I so sensitive about Johnny ? But not for any other skaters ?
I have no idea why.


I do have bias for Johnny, and my feeling is out of control whether I shows it or
not.


Maybe that the proof of love.

USFSA selected world team for Jeremy, Brandon and Evan because they were on the podium this season.

Since I don’t watch skating by skater’s nationalities, I don’t care for country, team USA, Team Japan, Team Canada…


It’s my free time, I don’t think there are any rule for my free time, and I don’t make any rule by myself.

And if Johnny won’t be there, then it means I have no reason to watch.
I just want to watch Johnny and his skating ! Nothing against Jeremy, Brandon and Evan. It’s just they are not Johnny. There is no replacement for Johnny to me.


But without Johnny, then maybe I will root for Brian Joubert. My second interest Lambiel is not there, Daisuke is not there, so Not so passionate for this competition but I think Joubert is higher quality skater in those contenders.

1. Joubert
2. Oda
3. Chan


I will surely miss Johnny so much if I watch it, and every time Jeremy or Evan or Brandon get on the ice, I will even more miss Johnny.. so I may not watch it.

I'm already guessing that One of American skaters will be on the podium becasue of the Location, LA,USA.

and it's Evan's hometown. He may get nervous though surely will ge advantage.

What I care is all about anything related to Johnny. How many spot American team will get for next Worlds and Olympics is important.

He must be disappointed for the result, and for could not make the world team.
What’s the best way to solve his health issue ?


Right now, of course he just needs rest.

He won two silver medals at GPS events and bronze medal in GPF this season. Also he was the only US medallist last Worlds and made a big help to get three American spot for this worlds.
Then he can not go to Worlds this season because he was not healthy enough, was not train enough and skated poorly in National’s one event ?

This is so sad.

I’m trying to move on my feeling, but my heart is still up and down, sometimes.

I’m usually fast to move on if the issue is for only myself , but this is not about myself and until knowing Johnny feels better and fine, this feeling may be continue.


Johnny has experienced tough situations many times in his life, so I’m sure he will handle it again, he is a strong person.

But realistically, when I imagine about his next season, his income for next season, financial support from USFSA,

He can afford for all the figure skating fee such as coaching fee, including choreographer, costumes, etc..?

Since no medal at this Nationals, and not going to worlds, I suppose it may be influenced a lot.

Many people expecting him to change his Choreographer next season, but I guess there is a reason why he chose Nina as choreographer this season.

It would be interesting if he would work with Platov as his choreographer again.


Johnny’s Otonal and Rondo were choreographed by combination of Tarasova and Platov’s , plus Johnny.

I also wonder that Shanette Folee who also worked with them for Johnny’s the swan.

Tarasova ‘s choreography for couple of seasons including her recent work were not so impressive , but Platov alone’s choreography was.

Hope everything will be okay for Johnny very soon.

Very nice article about Johnny here,

Johnny related article.




Popular posts from this blog

Health tips from an extra-terrestrial named Bashar - from a planet called Essassani

photo credit: skyseeker Mt. Fuji via photopin (license)    Today,  I would like to write about health tips from an extra-terrestrial being named Bashar who is from the Essassani Planet .     He is channeled by Darryl Anka. Planet earth used to have beautiful clear air, but since a long time ago the air has been polluted everywhere.    and the cause of most illnesses comes from the poison in the environment we are in, with the polluted air. Nowadays, it's hard to find places where there is beautiful clean air. and in this unfavorable environment, he is suggesting how to live healthy.   Health tips 1.  Clear Oxygen  According to Bashar,  the air after storms and typhoons have gone away, is the most clean ( purified ) and is good for our bodies. However when there is an overdose of artificial oxygen by using tools such as oxygen tanks , this can cause a lack of water, and will weaken cells.   So clean natural water needs to be used in a balanced amo

Who was The Mysterious Masked Messenger who visited Mozart ?

Perhaps the most mysterious legend about Mozart is that of the " Masked Messenger ". This mysterious masked messenger is also known historically as the "Man in Gray" , "The Mysterious Messenger" , "The Gray Messenger". The story of the masked messenger was featured prominently in the movie “ Amadeus ".           Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart How much of this story is true ? When Mozart died in the early morning hours of December 5, 1791, he left his final masterpiece, the Requiem , unfinished. A few months later, a completed score of the Requiem was delivered to its anonymous commissioner. How was the Requiem completed and how would Mozart have completed it had he lived? These mysteries have tantalized musicians for over two centuries. Mozart received the commission to compose the Requiem from the “ Mysterious Messenger" in the summer of 1791.  The Messenger paid half the commission in advance,

Charm of Kenichi Hagiwara - Shoken

From Japanese Movie " Ame no Amsterdam (Rain in Amsterdam)" I've been into the late 1960s to 1970s generation since several years ago. I don't know why but I'm very interested in older generation's people, trends, lifestyle, scenery, habit, TV drama, music, films, etc..   and not so interested in new things much.  There are many new discoveries through checking out old stuff while reading and watching it, which I didn't know before. and about several months ago, I happened to find a youtube video of  a famous Japanese actor called Kenichi Hagiwara who was my favorite actor in 1970s when I was a kid. His nickname is Shoken and he is also a singer of Rock/blues music.                      Shoken( 18 years old) singing ”Legend of Emerald” Shoken was one of the super stars in Japan mainly from the late 60s generation to early 80s. When he was 15 years old,   he joined an amateur music group band called The Tempters as a vocalist.   A

Beauty skin care, Ninon de L'Enclos ‘s Secret of her young skin

Besides extra virgin olive oil, I’ve been doing a mixture of another great natural formula since two weeks ago. This information came from Ray who happened to find about Ninon de L’Enclos ’s amazing story concerning her youthful skin. According to the article, Ninon de L’ Enclos is known as a famous French beauty from the late 1600s. She kept her youthful skin until 85 years old when she passed away. Even in to her 80’s she was attracting many young men who fell hopelessly in love with her. She never published her secret of her youthful skin until the end , only telling her special friends about her secret formula. There is no photo of her, but seeing her painting in other websites, she looks in her 30’s when she was 85. According to the article, her face was as smooth and free of winkles in her 80’S as it had been at 20. She hated wrinkles and successfully kept her skin youthful , using her special secret formula. This information blew me away, and immediately

Sweet Food which does not get fat - Warabi mochi

I recently love eating this sweet food that Japanese call " Warabi mochi " which is made of 0 calories food psyllium in my coffee break time.   It's sweet food but I use Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of sugar when I make it. Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener is 0 calorie s and 0 glycemic and very similar taste as normal sugar. It is said it's derived from monk fruit, which looks like a small green gourd native to regions of China and Thailand.  It's not artificial so it is not bad for health so I feel comfortable eating it. Warabi mochi is a food which is normally made of Kinako ( soybean flour) & sugar & warabi powder and it's one of my favorite foods. However it's high calorie foods so if I eat a lot, it's easy to gain weight.   Because Warabi mochi flour is Starch and has sugar in it and is high calorie.  So I was not eating it. and then recently I found the recipe of diet Warabi Mochi which is made of Psyllium

Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin’s friendship Part 1

Frederyk Chopin   I’m a long time fan of Chopin’s music since when I was a teenager. Started loving his music from hearing his Polonaise , then Noctunes , Etudes … Frederyk Chopin I was using one of Chopin’s Nocturnes as my background music for my answering machine when I was in my 20s. In Japan, many of his music is famous and used in many TV dramas, commercials, movies, and mostly wealthy bourgeois family scenes. My image of many of Chopin ’s music that I’ve listened to is of a cozy, bourgeois world. From almost all his music I’ve ever heard, I often pictured an elegant, wealthy family’s world or a story about a family who are living in a luxury antique style house. Many of Mozart ’s music reminds me of a social life in an older generation, a story about bourgeois world in a gorgeous luxury palace. For Liszt ’s music, his music is very variety, ranging from an image of a sweet passionate love story for couples, all the way to nightmare horror story type of mu

Franz Liszt’s dangerous love

  Franz Liszt was quite tall in his generation, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall , long blonde hair , piercing sharp eyes, pianist' long narrow and delicate hands and fingers. His body build was very slender. People who knew him described his personality as full of charm, charisma, and very knowledgeable.  And he loved brainy women. He was the consummate artist. It seems that Liszt loved dangerous love , which thrilled him and gave him excitement rather than a stable, peaceful , safe love. Franz Liszt While reading about his biography, I was wondering why he fell in love with two princesses who were already married. Marie D’Agoult He seems to have had a lot of love affairs in his life, someone found out that he had at least 26 serious relationships in his life ( besides countless other affairs ) but the only ladies he thought about marriage was with these two princesses , Marie D’Agoult and Carolyne Sayn Wittgenstein ? Charlotte Von Hagn L

Organic foods and healthy living “ You are what you eat ? “

We‘ve been enjoying organic foods since a month ago.   Because we care for our health and also organic foods taste more delicious than normal vegetables.   Recently, I really feel the famous quote  “ You are what you eat . “   is true.   Although healthy life comes from balance between mind, body, skin care, good night sleep and activities besides food life .   Health is a treasure.   Also I realized that “ good blood circulation ” is one of the most important key to keep healthy and look young skin.   After being amazed to see Styx’s ageless Tommy Shaw on TV, I started searching about “ secret of youth “.  He looks so much younger than his age.  Also, there was an interview with Styx on CNN in the morning about a week ago and they talked about what they think are the keys to longevity and a healthy life. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/04/23/exp-kyra-phillips-age-against-the-machine.cnn  

”The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” - Albert Einstein 

Originally we were all creative because all children are creative. While growing up, many children lose their creativity by seeing, reading, hearing what many grown ups do and teach. According to a book called " Goal " by Brian Tracy, "Fully 95% of children tested between the ages of three and five are rated as highly creative. Of the same children tested again as teenagers, only about 5% rated  as highly creative. What happened to them in the interim ?   As they went through school, they were taught that if you want to get along, you follow the crowd. They learned not to question or challenge the teacher or to suggest unusual ideas. In their attempts to be liked and accepted by their peers, they allowed their creativity to die down, like a fire without fuel.  " "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grows up."  -  Pablo Picasso But if we don't use creativity, we lose it. It means that the more we use cre

My favorite ways of Law of Attraction Part 3 - Successful Wishing - Pierre Franckh

Pierre Franckh’s books “ Successful Wishing “ are another of my favorite books.     There are series, 1 to 6 , and are not published in English , but I did find them in a Japanese book store,  translated by a Japanese translator.   Pierre Franckh is a German actor ( Movies & TV) from 1959 – 2003, and is also a movie director and a writer.  Since 1996, he published many books and became a best selling author.  Franckh wrote based on his personal experiences from when he was a child . I love the way how he writes , it’s very easy to read and direct to the point, very clear how to do it with step by step instruction. Also importance of finding what you truly want.    Many people are actually not realizing what they really want and then when they get what they wanted,  still not feeling satisfied. Pierre said that before making your wishes and order to universe, it’s important to clear up what you really want and ask to yourself, why you w