Skip to main content

My review - Johnny Weir at Finlandia Trophy 2012



Finlandia Trophy 2012 competition event was held on October 5 to 7 and men’s events were finished on October 5.
 
All the results are in the link below,


http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1213/FT2012/index.htm

 
 

Men

Overall

1. Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) 248.13
 
2. Richard Dornbush (USA) 239.99
 
3, Javier Fernandez (ESP) 235.20
 
4. Johnny Weir (USA) 201.42
 
5. Zhan Bush (RUS) 194.29
 
6. Misha Ge (UZB) 187.92
 
7. Kento Nakamura (JPN) 187.42
 
8. Adrian Schultheiss (SWE)177.82
 
9. Maciej Capuche (POL) 151.93
 
10. Valtter Virtanen (FIN) 151.93
 


Johnny Weir SP at Finlandia Trophy

Music : Poker Face
 
 

Johnny Weir LP

Music - Subject of the program is "The Phoenix; 'Sarabande' and 'Requiem' by the group Escala  and violinist Edvin Marton and one of Chopin's Nocturnes - "Nocturne No.20 in C sharp minor "

With Kiss & Cry scene




My review
 
Johnny Weir

My main purpose for watching Johnny Weir’s skating for this competition was seeing the programs, costumes, music and his skating, rather than the result of the competition.

This event is the very beginning of competition in the season, and besides after 2 years absence from competition, no wonder it requires super strong mind set to be able to compete.

Especially, he is a very popular, famous skater and every one is expecting and wanting to see him after the long breaks, or curious to see how he will skate. 

But I was really amazed seeing him attempt quad jump in his SP, not only LP.

It was his first time to do quad jump in his SP ? If my memory is correct.

Both programs are much more interesting than I was imagining. I wasn’t expecting the music and programs, and so far, his programs and music may be my favorite programs of all the men’s skaters so far I‘ve watched.

Here are a few of my observations about Johnny Weir’s programs:

Costumes : Love both of them. Glitter, elegant, beautiful, luxurious , and makes his beautiful body line well and slender. Both of them really fit with the theme of programs.

Programs : According to what I’ve read, Johnny was very nervous so he forgot choreography and transitions. So I guess no one has seen the real programs yet.

I also want to know the plan of jumps structure in each program.

Music : I love the long program music very much ! It’s a wonderful selection and combination of music to show the drama of phoenix (?).

It has 'Sarabande' and 'Requiem' by the group Escala and violinist Edvin Marton and also one of Chopin‘s nocturnes - Nocturne No.20 in C sharp minor ( Lento con gran espressione ).
 
Edvin Marton is the composer of Plushenko’s Nijinsky music and a friend of Plushenko. I still think Nijinsky is his best program and music he has ever used.
Ray is guessing he might have composed this beautiful piece as well. 

But we have to check it. And I’m getting interesting his composition now.
And as said earlier, after the half way, this program has Frederic Chopin’s Nocturne NO. 20 in C sharp minor.

As a huge fan of Chopin’s music, it made me so happy seeing Johnny is skating to it. I often love playing the music since knowing it from Chopin’s movie “ Desire for Love “. 

It’s a very beautiful sentimental, delicate, emotional music. The version used for Johnny’s program starts with violin and the piano joins in later.

I also realized that Johnny may suitable to skate to Mozart’s very gorgeous dramatic music “ Requiem “ ( including the part “ confutatis “ ) as well.

Many skaters often use same kind of music which was used by other skaters, but Johnny often uses music which no one skated to in the past, so it’s good I can find new discovery, which is also one of my purpose to watch figure skating.
 
I can’t comment much until I see the real programs but both programs looked very beautiful and have a lot of potential .

There are ups and downs in the music and Phoenix program looks very emotional and dramatic. 

It subtle but I think many of his fans can see the depth of his artistry for sure.

About his jumps, His quad looked great in his LP to me even though it was judged as under rotation.

It looked almost full rotation to me and clean landing.
I was more wondering about his triple axel. Did it happen because of his nerve or his new shoes ? 

His legs when he was turning in the air, they were not like that until 2007 - 2008 season.

Commentators were saying, excellent edge quality whenever seeing his triple axel during 2007 - 2008 season.

Triple loop is his least favorite jump, so when he was nervous, it may be hard to do it. 

I love his 3Lz. It always looks great.
 
I wish him to skate what he really wants and get satisfaction with both programs.
 

For about scores,

These marks are not so important to me anymore since high scores doesn’t mean they are all impressive performances and made me want to watch over and over. “ Who beat who, so he is the better skater now “ ? 

No, that’s not the way it works for me.

However, most people seem influenced by scores .

If I was judging skaters by their scores, I would not have become a fan of Johnny and Sandhu.
 
 
For nerve and anxiety,

Johnny was successful for his mind setting in Nationals 2004 both programs especially Long Programs, Dr. Zhipago.

Here are the quotes from him which was written January 25’ 2004 in his journal ,

“ The long program was so emotional. Leading after the short program, skating last, and having the pressure of American figure skating on my shoulders. I could have buckled under the pressure, like in 2000 when I was leading junior men and crumbled in the free skate, or even like 2003 when I was in the midst of an all out breakdown, but I'm older and wiser now, and was going to fight my way through it.

Before I went to skate, after they had announced me and once the audience had quieted, I took a moment just for me and went into my own little world.

Once the music started I felt like I didn't have to fight; there was this immense sense of calm to me that I'd never experienced before.
Instead of hoping I would nail it, I knew I would, which made all the difference in the world.

Four and a half minutes, eight triples, a standing ovation, and some very high scores later, I was National Champion. The amount of pride running through me was amazing; I had never been so proud of anything in my life, and who knows if I'll ever feel the same way again (I hope I will :)).

For me, the victory wasn't completely about my skating and placing first, it was the sheer fact that I could come from the lowest depths of my career, the constant negativity and stigma surrounding me from last season, and show everyone that I'm a fighter and a good one at that.

When I was on the medal stand, I was overcome with the fact that I'd set a goal last spring to be National Champion at all costs, and that I'd finally achieved it. All I could think was, "here I am world, the real me, watch out. "   "

 

Johnny sounded very confident after well-trained and well-preparation to compete. 

And when I looked at him right before he started skating, he looked calm, didn’t get nervous.

There are more,

In 2004, NHK Trophy’a LP ( Otonal program), he wasn’t thinking about the new scoring system.

In 2007 Cup of China, this competition also he looked very strong in his mind-setting.

In 2010 Vancouver Olympics, he might have gotten nervous but he nailed it.

He can handle his nerve and anxiety well since he was getting good results not once but more than twice.

Maybe doing quad jumps may be one of the biggest cause which making him nervous since he was not often attempting it in the competitions besides the long blank from competition. 

But I think the more he does quad in the competition , the more he will be getting used to it.

I was thinking about why nerve occurs ?

Perfectionist , not well- preparation, lack of confidence, care and focus for what audience might think, thinking about the result and not focusing on “ Now “.

How not to get nervous ?

Don’t care what others think, be more carefree about the result, Full of confidence about themselves. There is nothing to lose, and focus on “ give “.

Herbs which can remove nerve and anxiety : Fo ti,  St.John’s Wort, Passion flower,
 
Hopefully he will be able to have successful mind-set in all the other GP events.


So far, the programs I loved and enjoyed are, besides Johnny’s both programs,  
Mao Asada’s LP Swan Lake.

Mao Asada, Swan Lake at Japan Open 2012



Evgeny Plushenko 

Plushenko’s long programs, I think they are still a work in process. Will reserve comment until I see what he does with them. 

So far, I didn’t see a story in the program. I’m also not sure the  combination of the music selection. 

It’s great that they are all Camile Saint Saens,( and all of them are my favorite music ), but I‘m not sure about how it‘s all combined.  Are they a good choice to connect altogether in the same program (?).

Evgeny Plushenko LP at Japan Open

Music : Rondo Cappriccioso, The Swan, Danse Macabre by Camille Saint Saens
 


Daisuke Takahashi 

Daisuke Takahashi LP at Japan Open

Music : Pagliacci (opera by Ruggero Leoncavallo)
 
Daisuke’s Long program looked good for competition, but as an entertainment, I wasn’t enjoying much. He really did good job though, especially one of his quad jumps and 3A. His spin also improved compared with past years. 

But it didn’t make me wanting to watch over and over, like his last seasons performances and also 2009 - 2010 season’s programs.
 
 
 
Yuzuru Hanyu

Yuzuru Hanyu SP - Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore; choreographed by Jeffry Buttle

 
Yuzuru Hanyu LP

LP - Notre Dame de Paris, choreography by David Wilson

Congratulations on winning the gold medal in the Finlandia Trophy ! 

He looked hard and careless for his movements in his LP. I’ve heard he had asthma. 

I personally have asthma and allergy if I drink tea or eat vinegar. People who have never experienced breathing issue may not understand the toughness of it , but actually it’s amazing he did finish until the end with such a bad health condition.

I really like his quad jumps and triple axel.

But for artistically, so far, I haven’t been inspiring by his movements, the form, the line, emotional connection to music and expression yet.

He is still young , so he may improve that part in the future.
I may be too picky for skaters movements, but I still think it’s a basic to have correct form and line to be able to show great artistry.

When I saw his LP costume, it’s like different color version of Johnny’s Ave Maria number costume.

Was it designed by Johnny again ?

And the music selection also, Johnny’s 2008-09 season’s LP music.

I’ve heard that his heroes are Evgeny Plushenko and Johnny Weir and I can see he is trying to move like both of them.

But I think he may be better to have his original style, JMO.

He may easily beat both of them under COP system, but in order to make memorable performance which can touch my heart, especially if he wants to be like Johnny Weir, one needs to be unique and original rather than copying his style and his costumes and music.

Just my thought.
 
 

I also watched Mirai Nagasu’s LP at Findandia Trophy,

LP - Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 ("Organ" Symphony) by Camille Saint-Saëns  ( I love this music !)

 
Looking forward to see how everyone’s programs evolve, and how they perfect them throughout the season.

It’s a shame to hear that Miki Ando withdrew from GP events this season because she hasn’t found a new coach. Her program sounded interesting this season.


Popular posts from this blog

Health tips from an extra-terrestrial named Bashar - from a planet called Essassani

photo credit: skyseeker Mt. Fuji via photopin (license)    Today,  I would like to write about health tips from an extra-terrestrial being named Bashar who is from the Essassani Planet .     He is channeled by Darryl Anka. Planet earth used to have beautiful clear air, but since a long time ago the air has been polluted everywhere.    and the cause of most illnesses comes from the poison in the environment we are in, with the polluted air. Nowadays, it's hard to find places where there is beautiful clean air. and in this unfavorable environment, he is suggesting how to live healthy.   Health tips 1.  Clear Oxygen  According to Bashar,  the air after storms and typhoons have gone away, is the most clean ( purified ) and is good for our bodies. However when there is an overdose of artificial oxygen by using tools such as oxygen tanks , this can cause a lack of water, and will weaken cells.   So clean natural water needs to be used in a balanced amo

Who was The Mysterious Masked Messenger who visited Mozart ?

Perhaps the most mysterious legend about Mozart is that of the " Masked Messenger ". This mysterious masked messenger is also known historically as the "Man in Gray" , "The Mysterious Messenger" , "The Gray Messenger". The story of the masked messenger was featured prominently in the movie “ Amadeus ".           Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart How much of this story is true ? When Mozart died in the early morning hours of December 5, 1791, he left his final masterpiece, the Requiem , unfinished. A few months later, a completed score of the Requiem was delivered to its anonymous commissioner. How was the Requiem completed and how would Mozart have completed it had he lived? These mysteries have tantalized musicians for over two centuries. Mozart received the commission to compose the Requiem from the “ Mysterious Messenger" in the summer of 1791.  The Messenger paid half the commission in advance,

Charm of Kenichi Hagiwara - Shoken

From Japanese Movie " Ame no Amsterdam (Rain in Amsterdam)" I've been into the late 1960s to 1970s generation since several years ago. I don't know why but I'm very interested in older generation's people, trends, lifestyle, scenery, habit, TV drama, music, films, etc..   and not so interested in new things much.  There are many new discoveries through checking out old stuff while reading and watching it, which I didn't know before. and about several months ago, I happened to find a youtube video of  a famous Japanese actor called Kenichi Hagiwara who was my favorite actor in 1970s when I was a kid. His nickname is Shoken and he is also a singer of Rock/blues music.                      Shoken( 18 years old) singing ”Legend of Emerald” Shoken was one of the super stars in Japan mainly from the late 60s generation to early 80s. When he was 15 years old,   he joined an amateur music group band called The Tempters as a vocalist.   A

Beauty skin care, Ninon de L'Enclos ‘s Secret of her young skin

Besides extra virgin olive oil, I’ve been doing a mixture of another great natural formula since two weeks ago. This information came from Ray who happened to find about Ninon de L’Enclos ’s amazing story concerning her youthful skin. According to the article, Ninon de L’ Enclos is known as a famous French beauty from the late 1600s. She kept her youthful skin until 85 years old when she passed away. Even in to her 80’s she was attracting many young men who fell hopelessly in love with her. She never published her secret of her youthful skin until the end , only telling her special friends about her secret formula. There is no photo of her, but seeing her painting in other websites, she looks in her 30’s when she was 85. According to the article, her face was as smooth and free of winkles in her 80’S as it had been at 20. She hated wrinkles and successfully kept her skin youthful , using her special secret formula. This information blew me away, and immediately

Sweet Food which does not get fat - Warabi mochi

I recently love eating this sweet food that Japanese call " Warabi mochi " which is made of 0 calories food psyllium in my coffee break time.   It's sweet food but I use Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of sugar when I make it. Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener is 0 calorie s and 0 glycemic and very similar taste as normal sugar. It is said it's derived from monk fruit, which looks like a small green gourd native to regions of China and Thailand.  It's not artificial so it is not bad for health so I feel comfortable eating it. Warabi mochi is a food which is normally made of Kinako ( soybean flour) & sugar & warabi powder and it's one of my favorite foods. However it's high calorie foods so if I eat a lot, it's easy to gain weight.   Because Warabi mochi flour is Starch and has sugar in it and is high calorie.  So I was not eating it. and then recently I found the recipe of diet Warabi Mochi which is made of Psyllium

Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin’s friendship Part 1

Frederyk Chopin   I’m a long time fan of Chopin’s music since when I was a teenager. Started loving his music from hearing his Polonaise , then Noctunes , Etudes … Frederyk Chopin I was using one of Chopin’s Nocturnes as my background music for my answering machine when I was in my 20s. In Japan, many of his music is famous and used in many TV dramas, commercials, movies, and mostly wealthy bourgeois family scenes. My image of many of Chopin ’s music that I’ve listened to is of a cozy, bourgeois world. From almost all his music I’ve ever heard, I often pictured an elegant, wealthy family’s world or a story about a family who are living in a luxury antique style house. Many of Mozart ’s music reminds me of a social life in an older generation, a story about bourgeois world in a gorgeous luxury palace. For Liszt ’s music, his music is very variety, ranging from an image of a sweet passionate love story for couples, all the way to nightmare horror story type of mu

Franz Liszt’s dangerous love

  Franz Liszt was quite tall in his generation, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall , long blonde hair , piercing sharp eyes, pianist' long narrow and delicate hands and fingers. His body build was very slender. People who knew him described his personality as full of charm, charisma, and very knowledgeable.  And he loved brainy women. He was the consummate artist. It seems that Liszt loved dangerous love , which thrilled him and gave him excitement rather than a stable, peaceful , safe love. Franz Liszt While reading about his biography, I was wondering why he fell in love with two princesses who were already married. Marie D’Agoult He seems to have had a lot of love affairs in his life, someone found out that he had at least 26 serious relationships in his life ( besides countless other affairs ) but the only ladies he thought about marriage was with these two princesses , Marie D’Agoult and Carolyne Sayn Wittgenstein ? Charlotte Von Hagn L

Organic foods and healthy living “ You are what you eat ? “

We‘ve been enjoying organic foods since a month ago.   Because we care for our health and also organic foods taste more delicious than normal vegetables.   Recently, I really feel the famous quote  “ You are what you eat . “   is true.   Although healthy life comes from balance between mind, body, skin care, good night sleep and activities besides food life .   Health is a treasure.   Also I realized that “ good blood circulation ” is one of the most important key to keep healthy and look young skin.   After being amazed to see Styx’s ageless Tommy Shaw on TV, I started searching about “ secret of youth “.  He looks so much younger than his age.  Also, there was an interview with Styx on CNN in the morning about a week ago and they talked about what they think are the keys to longevity and a healthy life. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/04/23/exp-kyra-phillips-age-against-the-machine.cnn  

”The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” - Albert Einstein 

Originally we were all creative because all children are creative. While growing up, many children lose their creativity by seeing, reading, hearing what many grown ups do and teach. According to a book called " Goal " by Brian Tracy, "Fully 95% of children tested between the ages of three and five are rated as highly creative. Of the same children tested again as teenagers, only about 5% rated  as highly creative. What happened to them in the interim ?   As they went through school, they were taught that if you want to get along, you follow the crowd. They learned not to question or challenge the teacher or to suggest unusual ideas. In their attempts to be liked and accepted by their peers, they allowed their creativity to die down, like a fire without fuel.  " "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grows up."  -  Pablo Picasso But if we don't use creativity, we lose it. It means that the more we use cre

My favorite ways of Law of Attraction Part 3 - Successful Wishing - Pierre Franckh

Pierre Franckh’s books “ Successful Wishing “ are another of my favorite books.     There are series, 1 to 6 , and are not published in English , but I did find them in a Japanese book store,  translated by a Japanese translator.   Pierre Franckh is a German actor ( Movies & TV) from 1959 – 2003, and is also a movie director and a writer.  Since 1996, he published many books and became a best selling author.  Franckh wrote based on his personal experiences from when he was a child . I love the way how he writes , it’s very easy to read and direct to the point, very clear how to do it with step by step instruction. Also importance of finding what you truly want.    Many people are actually not realizing what they really want and then when they get what they wanted,  still not feeling satisfied. Pierre said that before making your wishes and order to universe, it’s important to clear up what you really want and ask to yourself, why you w