Skip to main content

Figure skating 2013 - 2014 season - My favorite performances for Men & Ladies


We've been enjoying watching Grand Prix Figure skating competitions every weekend ! 

Most of the time, my husband and I have same taste and often agree with each other while watching all the performances. 

Here are my top favorite performances so far after watching all the grand prix competition. 


Men 


Jason Brown 

Congratulations for winning a first senior grand prix medal in TEB competition ! 

I'm a huge fan of his skating now ! 

His short program and long program are my top favorite programs this season.

 

 Jason Brown Short Program at TEB 2013



Jason Brown Free Program at TEB


Both of them are awesome , fun, artistic, beautiful, exciting, wonderful musicality with excellent body moves and choreography. 

At the age of only 18, he already has his original style, Jason skating style. 
Skating which is full of personality is always interesting to watch. 

The music is growing on me every time I watch his performance. 

 His Irish dance is fantastic ! 

Because he is skating so fabulous, so the music becomes even more wonderful. 

My husband who is usually very picky for artistic part of everything, he also really enjoyed Jason's performances. 

When it comes to the men's performances, he only watched Jason and Daisuke , skipping all the others after watching all of them with me, which NBC showed. 

 Jason has received all level 4 spins and also level 4 straight line step sequences. All he needs is quad in the future. 

Since the PCS are actually not really true art scores, his scores will increase when his reputation gets higher. 

 I'm so glad Jason type of skater appeared now who has natural artistic talent. His every movement are full of details from toe to fingertips. 

He knows how to use body, shoulder, arms and making the hands and fingertips artistic and beautiful besides his musicality. 

We both were clapping at the end of the performance. 

 Thank you for the excitement and your wonderful performance ! 

I have a very good impression of his personality through his twitter. 

I found he is one of the few of the sweetest skaters I've ever seen, who answered to my twitter, and often "Favorited" my messages to him. 

 What made me so happy is that he is showing his kindness with action, not only the words and also not being too picky for his fans. 

 I think he is the same with all his fans . I love that he looks always happy, with smiling face like a sunshine. 

Besides Jason, in twitter, Miki Ando and Nobunari Oda also have replied to my messages and I was so grateful for it. 

Emanuel Sandhu was also replying to me, when I was still using MySpace. 

 I feel like in these private times , they show their real personality honestly

because most of skaters or celebrities don't answer to their fans, they only reply to famous people or people who they can feel special for them. 


Daisuke Takahashi 

Daisuke Takahashi SP at NHK Trophy 2013



Daisuke Takahashi FP at NHK Trophy 2013


I was so glad to see he won at NHK trophy after disappointment of the result in Skate America. 

but just heard he got injury and need to take a rest at least 2 weeks and has to withdraw from GPF. 

I felt so bad to hear that. Hope he will get speedy recovery and will be able to attend Japanese Nationals and Olympics. 

For about his programs and performances, My husband and I both really enjoyed with both of his programs this season. 

He is always fantastic to watch , have never disappointed me. 

Both of his programs were so much fun with interesting choreography. 

As usual his movements and expression was sooo fun and super musical and I really love his sense of humor, expression. 

 His movements has freedom , naturally musical and has grace and well yin yang balance, and artistic ,throwing caution to the wind, especially for the dynamic part of movements. 

For the dynamic moves in the step sequence, besides him, only Stephane Lambiel was able to do this kind of freedom movements, which shows true artist. 

I've heard that he and Mao Asada will retire their competitive career after finish this season or Sochi Olympics.

 They have been the two biggest skating stars in Japan, so if they retire , Japanese skating world will have different air. 

Since he is a Japanese skater, rarely can see his ice show performance in the USA on TV so I will surely miss his skating. 

 It will be great if he will be able to win gold at Sochi Olympics, since I think he is the best skater artistically, technically if he skates clean. 

For artistic part, Daisuke and Jason have natural artistic talent who pick up easily and fast. 

I really wish him speedy recovery and will be able to compete at Japanese nationals competition. 


Yuzuru Hanyu 

Yuzuru Hanyu SP at GPF




Yuzuru Hanyu FP at GPF



We liked and really enjoyed this season's Yuzuru's performance at GPF ! 

I'm surprised his improvement of his artistry this season. 

His posture is much better than last season and his movements and musicality also. 

Within a very short time, I really think he is very talented. 

We both felt like Johnny Weir had appeared again on ice when we saw his Free program. 

I found it's funny he is doing everything what Johnny was doing before he gets started, like making sign of the cross and also doing an arm and shoulder type of twist like Johnny used to do, while talking to himself something, maybe it's a " let's go " or " Just go !" type of action. 

 His free program costume also making him look like Johnny Weir as well.

I think it's fit him. it's a better look when seeing it from far away than close distance. I'm not crazy for the lace part but the design of the costume makes his body-line look beautiful. 

 He was putting emotion really well with the music Romeo & Juliet

I still prefer unique original style rather than someone's copycat , but if it's so well done, it's fine. 

For his short program, this was awesome, really masterpiece performance. Super speedy , powerful, musical, and fun ! 


Nobunari Oda 

While I felt bad for Daisuke, I was glad to hear that Nobu got the opportunity to get to Grand Prix Finale.

I really like this season's both of his programs especially his free program. 

My heart really moved while watching him at NHK ! 

Nobunari Oda FP at NHK 2013




His jumps are killer for me. 

Also I think his artistry this season really improved and has more grace , and the choreography is wonderful. 

Ray said he is great, but would like to see more dynamic attack to match when the music is dramatic or energetic. 

 I agree, I feel music has ups and downs and he needs more sharp dynamic movements when the music is up, not only soft graceful movements all the way. 
but for dynamic movements , except for Daisuke or Lambiel, it's not easy to have completely freedom of flow of steps like them, like the wind. 

 Overall, I really enjoyed with his performances.

 I like the music also, it's a great music for Olympics to make audience excitement. 

 I really hope he will be able to qualify the Olympics. 

Because it's so ridiculous if such a wonderful talented skater like him won't go to Olympics. 



Adam Rippon 

Adam Rippon FP at NHK 2013
 

 I also really enjoyed with his programs this season. 

When I first time saw Adam's skating on TV, it was Exhibition event in US Nationals 2008. 

At that time, I felt like he's like a junior version of Johnny Weir. Adam was working with Nicholai Morozov and his movements were elegant and graceful. 

However after that, I felt he lost his artistic movements and elegance . I haven't been impressed with his performances until this season's NHK Trophy. 

However, this year, I've heard that he was working with Tom Dickson for the choreography, so I was curious about his programs. 

 And I feel he has really improved his artistry alot. 

Like he is starting to recapture the potential he has, that I felt when I first saw him years ago. 

Great job ! 


Tatsuki Machida 

 Tatsuki Machida SP at Skate America 2013

   

It was so nice to see his successful season by winning two gold medals in grand prix events. 

After the disappointment of last season's GPF and Japanese Nationals even though he was successful in his GP competitions, this is amazing come back. 

Only in his short program at grand prix finale, he lost mind balance, maybe from too much pressure ?

But in his free program, he skated wonderfully, almost clean skate. 

Matchi sounds also really analyzing about how to control his mind toughness as well, getting out of the comfort zone by moving from comfortable American ice rink to Japanese rink and also making hard schedule by getting up really early in the morning to training from basic, then go to University, and then again training in the evening. 

He said by doing this, he can improve his mind toughness because during the competition, he can face really tough environment. 

For my review of his performances, 

He is a beautiful skater who has sensitivity of movements. 


His quad and triple axel are fabulous, with wonderful flow, and very smooth landing when he is on like Skate America. 

For his firebird program, even though technically, this season's firebird has quad and more difficult program, I felt last season's his interpretation was more impressive. His movements were more musical last season. 

Only lacking part was dynamic movements, like Oda, he is cautious for dynamic movements. 

This season his short program is beautiful. 

Honestly, I loved his last season's short program more than this season's because everything looked more unique but it's always good to have something different from last season's program. 

In Rostelecom Cup, he looked cautious and didn't look fully showing his ability because of maybe pressure ?

 I can imagine that it's so crazy situation for top Japanese men's skaters this season for Olympics qualification. 

I wish there were at least 4 spots for Japanese men for Olympics. 


Mindset 

Whenever I watch skating competition events, it's always inspiring the winner's mindset, because I think figure skating competition is a mind game. 

Actually not only the figure skating but in all the things we do in life, it's always mindset comes first whatever we do to succeed. 

Patrick Chan's skating has never been my cup of tea because of his lack of artistry and heavy robotic movements with straight arms and stiff upper body most of the time. 

I haven't seen any artistic improvements of his movements of body, shoulder, arms, hands, fingers, and emotion since when I first time saw his Four Season program when he was 17. 

However, his mindset has been often successful and it's impressive. 

He does have winner's mindset. 

In GPF, he said he might have fear before he skated. 

It got the result. 
but still he skated well in his free program even though he was not the winner of the event. 

Human's mind is really unstable, so no wonder it can lose the mindset within a second. 

Another impressive skater for mindset is Yuzuru Hanyu. 

One of the most impressive things about Yuzuru is his mindset. 

He has just became 19 this month. 

Only 19 ! 

He already has winning mindset, unlimited to challenge whoever is above him. The GPF was held in Japan his home coutry, so many people seem to think his scores are inflated. 

Yuzuru also not really satisfied with his performance. while he sounded appriciating to receive that huge score, he is very humble, shaking his head in the kiss & cry . 

Also in his interview, He said that in Skate Canada and TEB, he was thinking about Patrick Chan, difference between himself and Chan's skating. 

He was analyzing that how much difference he is having between him and Chan, and how much effort he needs to be close or reach to his level of skating. 

This kind of competition mindset can lose focus on his skating and performance. but in GPF, he was more focusing on his skating , focus to enjoy his performance as best as he can rather than focusing on beating Patrick.

This mindset got successful.

 I feel this is the key of mindset.   " Enjoy !" 

Nobunari Oda who won bronze medal in GPF also said similar thing in interview about his mindset. 

He said his theme of this season is " smile ". 

His mother told him " Go enjoy your skating as much as you can ! " before he skated at Free program. 
and this made him to feel and think like even how many times he fall on jumps, he can enjoy the performance. 

His programs this season are really fun to watch and we can see he also really enjoy skating. I think this playful mind can make successful mindset.

In Olympics season , I can see all the countries are trying to promote their strongest contenders. and people are often complaining about inflated scores from hometown bonus score to their strong skaters who they want to promote.

Other countries are doing the same. and we are watching the sports. I feel like only country which doesn't give big bonus score to their favorite country man/lady is France. 

I noticed that since last Olympics season. 
Limit of two skaters each country will get benefits and federation will choose which skaters they want them to push. 

I won't complain about the scores anymore like I was in the past. 


Ladies 

For ladies, we enjoyed Samantha Cesario and Akiko Suzuki's both programs the most this season and repeatedly watched them. 

Samantha is a really artist who cares every detail of her movements, so it's just gorgeous to watch.  She performed her Carmen beautifully with passion and with her own style.
 
Also I really love Akiko's skating since last season because her movements of arms, hands, fingers, body really improved and have good yin yang balance. very musical and beautiful to watch. 

We also like the performances from Anna POGORILAYA , Kanako Murakami, Valentina Marchei, Julia Lipnitskaia, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Mirai Nagasu. 

Also really liked Haruka Imai's skating. 
We found she has great artistic potential , and has beautiful movements. 

We look forward to seeing her future. 

For Mirai Nagasu, I liked her artistry in NHK performance but not really impressed with her Rostelecom cup while her jumps looked much better with full rotation. 

For Mao Asada, I usually loved many of her performances in the past, especially her last season's Swan Lake program, especially her straight line step sequence and also her Nocturne program in 2006 , and her last Olympics ( Vancouver olympics )'s Free program. 

But this season, her movements looked casual and no artistic sensitivity of her hands and finger. 

I feel like maybe the choreography is not showing her great artistic potential.
I prefer her 2006 season's Nocturne program. 

Adelina Sotnikova is using Saint Saen's Rondo Capricianno , but the orchestra for it she is using is not great, so my husband didn't like it and couldn't continue watching. 

I feel music she has used is distracting her performances. 
Last season's her Free program music was awful, too. Hopefully she or her coach will find better music with great orchestra or performer. 

There are skaters I haven't seen and want to see like Zijun Li, and Satoko Miyahara, Elene Gedevanishvili, so I would love to watch them whenever I have more time. 

 Next competition events will be Japanese Nationals ! 

I'm so thrilled to watch it. I wish best of luck to all the skaters. 

Popular posts from this blog

Health tips from an extra-terrestrial named Bashar - from a planet called Essassani

photo credit: skyseeker Mt. Fuji via photopin (license)    Today,  I would like to write about health tips from an extra-terrestrial being named Bashar who is from the Essassani Planet .     He is channeled by Darryl Anka. Planet earth used to have beautiful clear air, but since a long time ago the air has been polluted everywhere.    and the cause of most illnesses comes from the poison in the environment we are in, with the polluted air. Nowadays, it's hard to find places where there is beautiful clean air. and in this unfavorable environment, he is suggesting how to live healthy.   Health tips 1.  Clear Oxygen  According to Bashar,  the air after storms and typhoons have gone away, is the most clean ( purified ) and is good for our bodies. However when there is an overdose of artificial oxygen by using tools such as oxygen tanks , this can cause a lack of water, and will weaken cells.   So clean natural water needs to be used in a balanced amo

Who was The Mysterious Masked Messenger who visited Mozart ?

Perhaps the most mysterious legend about Mozart is that of the " Masked Messenger ". This mysterious masked messenger is also known historically as the "Man in Gray" , "The Mysterious Messenger" , "The Gray Messenger". The story of the masked messenger was featured prominently in the movie “ Amadeus ".           Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart How much of this story is true ? When Mozart died in the early morning hours of December 5, 1791, he left his final masterpiece, the Requiem , unfinished. A few months later, a completed score of the Requiem was delivered to its anonymous commissioner. How was the Requiem completed and how would Mozart have completed it had he lived? These mysteries have tantalized musicians for over two centuries. Mozart received the commission to compose the Requiem from the “ Mysterious Messenger" in the summer of 1791.  The Messenger paid half the commission in advance,

Charm of Kenichi Hagiwara - Shoken

From Japanese Movie " Ame no Amsterdam (Rain in Amsterdam)" I've been into the late 1960s to 1970s generation since several years ago. I don't know why but I'm very interested in older generation's people, trends, lifestyle, scenery, habit, TV drama, music, films, etc..   and not so interested in new things much.  There are many new discoveries through checking out old stuff while reading and watching it, which I didn't know before. and about several months ago, I happened to find a youtube video of  a famous Japanese actor called Kenichi Hagiwara who was my favorite actor in 1970s when I was a kid. His nickname is Shoken and he is also a singer of Rock/blues music.                      Shoken( 18 years old) singing ”Legend of Emerald” Shoken was one of the super stars in Japan mainly from the late 60s generation to early 80s. When he was 15 years old,   he joined an amateur music group band called The Tempters as a vocalist.   A

Beauty skin care, Ninon de L'Enclos ‘s Secret of her young skin

Besides extra virgin olive oil, I’ve been doing a mixture of another great natural formula since two weeks ago. This information came from Ray who happened to find about Ninon de L’Enclos ’s amazing story concerning her youthful skin. According to the article, Ninon de L’ Enclos is known as a famous French beauty from the late 1600s. She kept her youthful skin until 85 years old when she passed away. Even in to her 80’s she was attracting many young men who fell hopelessly in love with her. She never published her secret of her youthful skin until the end , only telling her special friends about her secret formula. There is no photo of her, but seeing her painting in other websites, she looks in her 30’s when she was 85. According to the article, her face was as smooth and free of winkles in her 80’S as it had been at 20. She hated wrinkles and successfully kept her skin youthful , using her special secret formula. This information blew me away, and immediately

Sweet Food which does not get fat - Warabi mochi

I recently love eating this sweet food that Japanese call " Warabi mochi " which is made of 0 calories food psyllium in my coffee break time.   It's sweet food but I use Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of sugar when I make it. Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener is 0 calorie s and 0 glycemic and very similar taste as normal sugar. It is said it's derived from monk fruit, which looks like a small green gourd native to regions of China and Thailand.  It's not artificial so it is not bad for health so I feel comfortable eating it. Warabi mochi is a food which is normally made of Kinako ( soybean flour) & sugar & warabi powder and it's one of my favorite foods. However it's high calorie foods so if I eat a lot, it's easy to gain weight.   Because Warabi mochi flour is Starch and has sugar in it and is high calorie.  So I was not eating it. and then recently I found the recipe of diet Warabi Mochi which is made of Psyllium

Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin’s friendship Part 1

Frederyk Chopin   I’m a long time fan of Chopin’s music since when I was a teenager. Started loving his music from hearing his Polonaise , then Noctunes , Etudes … Frederyk Chopin I was using one of Chopin’s Nocturnes as my background music for my answering machine when I was in my 20s. In Japan, many of his music is famous and used in many TV dramas, commercials, movies, and mostly wealthy bourgeois family scenes. My image of many of Chopin ’s music that I’ve listened to is of a cozy, bourgeois world. From almost all his music I’ve ever heard, I often pictured an elegant, wealthy family’s world or a story about a family who are living in a luxury antique style house. Many of Mozart ’s music reminds me of a social life in an older generation, a story about bourgeois world in a gorgeous luxury palace. For Liszt ’s music, his music is very variety, ranging from an image of a sweet passionate love story for couples, all the way to nightmare horror story type of mu

Franz Liszt’s dangerous love

  Franz Liszt was quite tall in his generation, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall , long blonde hair , piercing sharp eyes, pianist' long narrow and delicate hands and fingers. His body build was very slender. People who knew him described his personality as full of charm, charisma, and very knowledgeable.  And he loved brainy women. He was the consummate artist. It seems that Liszt loved dangerous love , which thrilled him and gave him excitement rather than a stable, peaceful , safe love. Franz Liszt While reading about his biography, I was wondering why he fell in love with two princesses who were already married. Marie D’Agoult He seems to have had a lot of love affairs in his life, someone found out that he had at least 26 serious relationships in his life ( besides countless other affairs ) but the only ladies he thought about marriage was with these two princesses , Marie D’Agoult and Carolyne Sayn Wittgenstein ? Charlotte Von Hagn L

Organic foods and healthy living “ You are what you eat ? “

We‘ve been enjoying organic foods since a month ago.   Because we care for our health and also organic foods taste more delicious than normal vegetables.   Recently, I really feel the famous quote  “ You are what you eat . “   is true.   Although healthy life comes from balance between mind, body, skin care, good night sleep and activities besides food life .   Health is a treasure.   Also I realized that “ good blood circulation ” is one of the most important key to keep healthy and look young skin.   After being amazed to see Styx’s ageless Tommy Shaw on TV, I started searching about “ secret of youth “.  He looks so much younger than his age.  Also, there was an interview with Styx on CNN in the morning about a week ago and they talked about what they think are the keys to longevity and a healthy life. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/04/23/exp-kyra-phillips-age-against-the-machine.cnn  

”The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” - Albert Einstein 

Originally we were all creative because all children are creative. While growing up, many children lose their creativity by seeing, reading, hearing what many grown ups do and teach. According to a book called " Goal " by Brian Tracy, "Fully 95% of children tested between the ages of three and five are rated as highly creative. Of the same children tested again as teenagers, only about 5% rated  as highly creative. What happened to them in the interim ?   As they went through school, they were taught that if you want to get along, you follow the crowd. They learned not to question or challenge the teacher or to suggest unusual ideas. In their attempts to be liked and accepted by their peers, they allowed their creativity to die down, like a fire without fuel.  " "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grows up."  -  Pablo Picasso But if we don't use creativity, we lose it. It means that the more we use cre

My favorite ways of Law of Attraction Part 3 - Successful Wishing - Pierre Franckh

Pierre Franckh’s books “ Successful Wishing “ are another of my favorite books.     There are series, 1 to 6 , and are not published in English , but I did find them in a Japanese book store,  translated by a Japanese translator.   Pierre Franckh is a German actor ( Movies & TV) from 1959 – 2003, and is also a movie director and a writer.  Since 1996, he published many books and became a best selling author.  Franckh wrote based on his personal experiences from when he was a child . I love the way how he writes , it’s very easy to read and direct to the point, very clear how to do it with step by step instruction. Also importance of finding what you truly want.    Many people are actually not realizing what they really want and then when they get what they wanted,  still not feeling satisfied. Pierre said that before making your wishes and order to universe, it’s important to clear up what you really want and ask to yourself, why you w