Skip to main content

Review - Episode #2 Skating with the Stars


It's so nice to have something exciting on Monday night again ( just like Johnny’s be good Johnny weir last time ) , we really enjoyed watching the Episode #2 of Skating with the Stars on Monday night.



It was sad Sean Young / Denis Petukhov team were eliminated in this episode.
We loved and enjoyed very much with their performances.




I thought Sean Young has so much personality in her performance ( and also off ice ) and has a big impact whatever she does. Denis’s music selection ( I always loved his music choice for his and Melissa’s programs ) and his interesting choreography and creative idea were fantastic.
It was also interesting to see Denis took Sean to indoor sky diving place.





I thought it’ a great idea to take her to the place to catch “feeling “ , without “ thinking” for her performance, and it was sweet of him to do it. The sky diving looked so much fun BTW, I want to try it !

For performance itself, my favorites were Rebecca & Fred, and also Brandon Keauna’s and also Sean & Denis ‘s performances.

I thought Rebecca has charisma, and I loved her movements for each pose, well stretched body, legs and arms. It was beautiful to watch. Ray also loved her performance a lot.


 


Also I agree with Johnny (Weir), I also thought her beginning of facial expression need more impact. It’s a tango so only missing part was more passion like Dick Button and Johnny said.




But within a very short time, Rebecca did amazing job, we even thought she may be able to compete in US Nationals. Quick learner = Talented. (IMO) I was also very surprised to know her age. Becuase she looked around 26 to me. Looks very young and beautiful !

 
Brandon & Keauna I loved Brandon’s rhythms with music, how he moves , it was comfortable to watch his performance without having worry, not so crazy for some of his pose though, his musicality was fun to watch. Loved his partner Keauna’s outfit. It looked like goth style.

Brandon is a roller skater, and has dance experience , so I think he has advantage for the background to catch the balance on ice and how to use the body.


 Jonny / Brooke were doing very good, too, challenged difficult moves lifting Brook from opposite side, it can be really dangerous but he did it. His face is handsome, and reminds me of Tom Cruise ’s face a little bit. His body looks family man type. He was really fierce. I thought more than his movements, was impressed with his strong mind which pulled everything well.


Vince / Jeniffer I really loved Vince’s character. He is so honest for his feelings and looked so disappointed for his fall.





Actually when thinking about his age, with no dance experience, almost no skating experience, he did really good job. I really loved his partner Jeniffer’s passionate expression for tango.

Sean and Vince are doing very good when we think about age. Sean is 51. And Vince is 49.



Brandon is the youngest ( 21 years old ) and has dance & rollerblading experience and a very little experience with ice skating. I think he has advantage from his background and age compared with Sean Young and Vince and also Bethenny Frankel. I found this when Ray and I went to the ice rink in our first time ice skating. We both are same ages, and no skating experience, only difference is I have dance experience unlike my husband.

And when we both got on an ice rink, somehow I could catch the balance and soon could skate to the center of the rink and circling around the rink with the bulk of people and felt fantastic feeling to skate, while my husband was grabbing the poll at the edge of the rink for a while until I took his hand to go to the center, but he was just exhausted by putting too much power to his legs trying not to fall.

I didn’t try spin or jump or skating from back , also I didn’t fall, so next time I will try more difficulty without having fear of fall.

I have ski experience and this requires the balance of body using feet and lower back but not
sure this is also helping to catch the balance on ice.

But for speed, skiing needs to remove the fear of falling and fear of sliding with speed. So that experience also helped me for not getting fear for speed.

My first time skiing was one of the most tough experience because I didnt take a class and lesson to learn the basic and directly went to the top of the mountain ( which was not for beginners course ) with my co-workers at that time.

I had no idea how to balance my body, how to use edge to stop, so fall was the only way to stop, and learned how to fall without getting hurt at that time. lol
For dance,

What I learned by myself is you can’t dance naturally with “ thinking” mind.
Need to have “ Feeling “ with music and your body. Mind, body and music need to get altogether.

I just feel the source of dance ( which I learned ) balance comes from hips for jazz dance ). It’s all about feeling to catch the balance.

And what I learned from my dance teacher was you can’t dance without learning the basic of movement so soon, except for super talented dancer such as Shakira was born as a dancer who never took a dance class, and has amazing rhythm and musicality.
Within 5 or 6 weeks, Sean Young at her age plus no skating & dance experience , she did really good. I’m not sure I can do like that if I were her situation.

Bethenny & Ethan, I think Bethenny also doesn’t have experience with skating and dance. Facial expression, it’s really difficult to make it for most people because most of us use left side of brain, don’t usually use our right brain in our daily life.

This “ thinking “ is blocking her to connect with music and show natural expression. I thought all three judges gave her useful advice to improve her skill. I agreed with Johnny ( Weir) about her facial expression.

I’m glad Johnny (Weir) pointed it out, because many figure skating commentators are careless for facial expression, so it’s nice to have the judge or commentator like him who cares for real artistry.





About Johnny Weir,

Johnny looked like a pretty cartoon character with yellow jacket in this show and I ‘m kinda loving this. Much more loving than last week’s his outfit, hair and make-up. ( only loved his intro look )





Ray also says this week’s Johnny is better than last week.

I loved his judging. I think he plays fair and honest. Artistry is subjective and except for Rebecca’s artistic score, I was feeling the same way as Johnny.

Many Bethenny fans were complaining about judges and I saw they were attacking Johnny in twetter in that night. But I think Johnny scored fairly and honestly, IMO.

There is a great article which explains why Bethenny was not scored high written by Jenn Sale who is a former figure skater.

Here is the link below, Skating with the Stars Week 2Recap Nobody Gives Bethenny a 6 !


I like strict fair judges If I were them because we can improve more, tough advices are better to know my weak point.

So Bethenny’s twitter comment against Judges made me disappointed since her last week’s comment for her performance and the result sounded objective to her fans.

But we all are human, so everyone has ups and downs for our feeling. And it’s easy to see other’s weak point than ourselves.
I’m also learning for myself by seeing these celebrity’s challenge for new things. Hope she will take it positive way for her motivation for next week.

Johnny has said in interviews ( before the SWTS started ), he will be a tough judge because he wants to show figure skating is not an easy world like so many people are thinking. I personally think Figure skating and gymnastic are the most tough sports.




Episode#2’s result was

1. Brandon / Keauna
2. Rebecca / Fred
3. Jonny / Brooke
4. Bethany / Ethan
5. Vince / Jennifer, Sean / Denis


Overall result

1. Rebecca / Fred
2. Brandon / Keauna
3. Jonny / Brooke
4. Sean / Denis
5. Bethenny / Ethan
6. Vince / Jennifer



Survival teams from audience votes

1. Rebecca / Fred
2. Brandon / Keauna
3. Jonny / Brooke
4. Bethenny / Ethan
5. Vince / Jennifer


Good luck for all the challengers next Monday !


Popular posts from this blog

Health tips from an extra-terrestrial named Bashar - from a planet called Essassani

photo credit: skyseeker Mt. Fuji via photopin (license)    Today,  I would like to write about health tips from an extra-terrestrial being named Bashar who is from the Essassani Planet .     He is channeled by Darryl Anka. Planet earth used to have beautiful clear air, but since a long time ago the air has been polluted everywhere.    and the cause of most illnesses comes from the poison in the environment we are in, with the polluted air. Nowadays, it's hard to find places where there is beautiful clean air. and in this unfavorable environment, he is suggesting how to live healthy.   Health tips 1.  Clear Oxygen  According to Bashar,  the air after storms and typhoons have gone away, is the most clean ( purified ) and is good for our bodies. However when there is an overdose of artificial oxygen by using tools such as oxygen tanks , this can cause a lack of water, and will weaken cells.   So clean natural water needs to be used in a balanced amo

Who was The Mysterious Masked Messenger who visited Mozart ?

Perhaps the most mysterious legend about Mozart is that of the " Masked Messenger ". This mysterious masked messenger is also known historically as the "Man in Gray" , "The Mysterious Messenger" , "The Gray Messenger". The story of the masked messenger was featured prominently in the movie “ Amadeus ".           Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart How much of this story is true ? When Mozart died in the early morning hours of December 5, 1791, he left his final masterpiece, the Requiem , unfinished. A few months later, a completed score of the Requiem was delivered to its anonymous commissioner. How was the Requiem completed and how would Mozart have completed it had he lived? These mysteries have tantalized musicians for over two centuries. Mozart received the commission to compose the Requiem from the “ Mysterious Messenger" in the summer of 1791.  The Messenger paid half the commission in advance,

Charm of Kenichi Hagiwara - Shoken

From Japanese Movie " Ame no Amsterdam (Rain in Amsterdam)" I've been into the late 1960s to 1970s generation since several years ago. I don't know why but I'm very interested in older generation's people, trends, lifestyle, scenery, habit, TV drama, music, films, etc..   and not so interested in new things much.  There are many new discoveries through checking out old stuff while reading and watching it, which I didn't know before. and about several months ago, I happened to find a youtube video of  a famous Japanese actor called Kenichi Hagiwara who was my favorite actor in 1970s when I was a kid. His nickname is Shoken and he is also a singer of Rock/blues music.                      Shoken( 18 years old) singing ”Legend of Emerald” Shoken was one of the super stars in Japan mainly from the late 60s generation to early 80s. When he was 15 years old,   he joined an amateur music group band called The Tempters as a vocalist.   A

Beauty skin care, Ninon de L'Enclos ‘s Secret of her young skin

Besides extra virgin olive oil, I’ve been doing a mixture of another great natural formula since two weeks ago. This information came from Ray who happened to find about Ninon de L’Enclos ’s amazing story concerning her youthful skin. According to the article, Ninon de L’ Enclos is known as a famous French beauty from the late 1600s. She kept her youthful skin until 85 years old when she passed away. Even in to her 80’s she was attracting many young men who fell hopelessly in love with her. She never published her secret of her youthful skin until the end , only telling her special friends about her secret formula. There is no photo of her, but seeing her painting in other websites, she looks in her 30’s when she was 85. According to the article, her face was as smooth and free of winkles in her 80’S as it had been at 20. She hated wrinkles and successfully kept her skin youthful , using her special secret formula. This information blew me away, and immediately

Sweet Food which does not get fat - Warabi mochi

I recently love eating this sweet food that Japanese call " Warabi mochi " which is made of 0 calories food psyllium in my coffee break time.   It's sweet food but I use Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of sugar when I make it. Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener is 0 calorie s and 0 glycemic and very similar taste as normal sugar. It is said it's derived from monk fruit, which looks like a small green gourd native to regions of China and Thailand.  It's not artificial so it is not bad for health so I feel comfortable eating it. Warabi mochi is a food which is normally made of Kinako ( soybean flour) & sugar & warabi powder and it's one of my favorite foods. However it's high calorie foods so if I eat a lot, it's easy to gain weight.   Because Warabi mochi flour is Starch and has sugar in it and is high calorie.  So I was not eating it. and then recently I found the recipe of diet Warabi Mochi which is made of Psyllium

Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin’s friendship Part 1

Frederyk Chopin   I’m a long time fan of Chopin’s music since when I was a teenager. Started loving his music from hearing his Polonaise , then Noctunes , Etudes … Frederyk Chopin I was using one of Chopin’s Nocturnes as my background music for my answering machine when I was in my 20s. In Japan, many of his music is famous and used in many TV dramas, commercials, movies, and mostly wealthy bourgeois family scenes. My image of many of Chopin ’s music that I’ve listened to is of a cozy, bourgeois world. From almost all his music I’ve ever heard, I often pictured an elegant, wealthy family’s world or a story about a family who are living in a luxury antique style house. Many of Mozart ’s music reminds me of a social life in an older generation, a story about bourgeois world in a gorgeous luxury palace. For Liszt ’s music, his music is very variety, ranging from an image of a sweet passionate love story for couples, all the way to nightmare horror story type of mu

Franz Liszt’s dangerous love

  Franz Liszt was quite tall in his generation, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall , long blonde hair , piercing sharp eyes, pianist' long narrow and delicate hands and fingers. His body build was very slender. People who knew him described his personality as full of charm, charisma, and very knowledgeable.  And he loved brainy women. He was the consummate artist. It seems that Liszt loved dangerous love , which thrilled him and gave him excitement rather than a stable, peaceful , safe love. Franz Liszt While reading about his biography, I was wondering why he fell in love with two princesses who were already married. Marie D’Agoult He seems to have had a lot of love affairs in his life, someone found out that he had at least 26 serious relationships in his life ( besides countless other affairs ) but the only ladies he thought about marriage was with these two princesses , Marie D’Agoult and Carolyne Sayn Wittgenstein ? Charlotte Von Hagn L

Organic foods and healthy living “ You are what you eat ? “

We‘ve been enjoying organic foods since a month ago.   Because we care for our health and also organic foods taste more delicious than normal vegetables.   Recently, I really feel the famous quote  “ You are what you eat . “   is true.   Although healthy life comes from balance between mind, body, skin care, good night sleep and activities besides food life .   Health is a treasure.   Also I realized that “ good blood circulation ” is one of the most important key to keep healthy and look young skin.   After being amazed to see Styx’s ageless Tommy Shaw on TV, I started searching about “ secret of youth “.  He looks so much younger than his age.  Also, there was an interview with Styx on CNN in the morning about a week ago and they talked about what they think are the keys to longevity and a healthy life. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/04/23/exp-kyra-phillips-age-against-the-machine.cnn  

”The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” - Albert Einstein 

Originally we were all creative because all children are creative. While growing up, many children lose their creativity by seeing, reading, hearing what many grown ups do and teach. According to a book called " Goal " by Brian Tracy, "Fully 95% of children tested between the ages of three and five are rated as highly creative. Of the same children tested again as teenagers, only about 5% rated  as highly creative. What happened to them in the interim ?   As they went through school, they were taught that if you want to get along, you follow the crowd. They learned not to question or challenge the teacher or to suggest unusual ideas. In their attempts to be liked and accepted by their peers, they allowed their creativity to die down, like a fire without fuel.  " "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grows up."  -  Pablo Picasso But if we don't use creativity, we lose it. It means that the more we use cre

My favorite ways of Law of Attraction Part 3 - Successful Wishing - Pierre Franckh

Pierre Franckh’s books “ Successful Wishing “ are another of my favorite books.     There are series, 1 to 6 , and are not published in English , but I did find them in a Japanese book store,  translated by a Japanese translator.   Pierre Franckh is a German actor ( Movies & TV) from 1959 – 2003, and is also a movie director and a writer.  Since 1996, he published many books and became a best selling author.  Franckh wrote based on his personal experiences from when he was a child . I love the way how he writes , it’s very easy to read and direct to the point, very clear how to do it with step by step instruction. Also importance of finding what you truly want.    Many people are actually not realizing what they really want and then when they get what they wanted,  still not feeling satisfied. Pierre said that before making your wishes and order to universe, it’s important to clear up what you really want and ask to yourself, why you w