Skip to main content

2015- 2016 Figure skating competitions, My review - Skate America


This season (2015 - 2016 ) 's figure skating competition is already starting ! 

and I've watched Japan Open, Nebelhorn Trophy, Finlandia Trophy , Autumn classic and Skate America so far.

Honestly, this season, I was not so excited for figure skating competition like before, because two of my favorite skaters who are Tatsuki Machida ( from Japan ) and Samantha Cesario ( from USA )had retired last season.


Although it was great to hear and see Mao Asada was back to competition and did a wonderful performance in Japan open competition.


For Skate America, there is Jason Brown who is my top favorite eligible skater there so I was very looking forward to seeing his new programs.

Also, as usual, looking forward to seeing the commentary of Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Terry Gannon !


                                                         From Johnny Weir's instagram


I really love seeing all three together 's commentary because they always make me and my husband laugh and we can enjoy with it !


We've just finished watching Skate America on October 24, 25 on NBC channel.

and I found my new favorite skaters in the competition !


Here is my review and favorites of Skate America 2015 Men & Ladies


First of all,

Congratulations to all the medalists, Max Aaron, Shoma Uno, Jason Brown,  Evgenia MEDVEDEVA, Gracie Gold, Satoko Miyahara !


It was great to see Max Aaron finally won the gold medal at GPS.
He had disappointing season last season and placed 4th at last Nationals and was unable to quality the worlds team even though he did great job.

I like his SP.  Powerful 4+3 combination jumps and huge 3 axel with smooth landing , and his movements in it looked natural.

Just hope he will feel with music so that his body and face will be more naturally expressive.    

For his Free program Swan Lake, I actually prefer his last season's free program Gladiator, and his Nationals performance because I feel that kind of program and music more fit with his skating style because the theme of gladiator is a fighter.

Pyotr Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake is a very emotional music and I feel it needs beauty and deep emotion.

His body movements were not with the music, there was no expression using body language and facial expression.  

Hopefully he will train the expression and movements more by the end of this season.

Great part of his skating is speed and high jumps. He does have his own style of skating as well.   so I think depending on the music and choreography he can show better performance.

My impression of him is a very sweet person. I saw he was the first person to hug to Jason when Jason won the National title last season, even though he was not able to get a medal.

So I'm glad to see him win this event.
 
Congratulations !


Gracie Gold looked like she's on so far this season,  unlike last season.

I like her SP performance in this event.  I feel she may be fit with this kind of tango music and the choreography,  rather than soft arm movements like last season. I dont think she is a tango dancer, and knowing tango movements,  but overall the performance  looked fierce.  Her movements in it was fine.

Wonderful powerful & big 3Lz + 3T combination jump.  Even with error for one jump, I like this performance better than her free program.

For her free program "Fire bird", her movements and jumps looked very heavy and was not so smooth. 

The choreography itself looked interesting, however the way she was moving with the choreography was not well-balanced. ( IMO).

She may be showing her straight arm  movements as  bird wings, but something unnatural and looked very stiff.   Many parts of movements were not musical at all.

Hopefully she will fix the stiff and heavy movements by US Nationals.
But still she did great job by winning silver medal.

Congratulations !




* My favorites *


Ladies

Evgenia Medvedeva

2015 Skate America - Evgenia Medvedeva FS CBC 


 


It was my first time to see her skating and I'm very impressed with with her amazing talent.

Her skating is not only beautiful and artistic to watch but is also unique, which I love.

Her jumps are beautiful as well .

I love her tano jumps, but it maybe better not to do so many tano jumps   because such a special beautiful tano jump can look just normal if one does them too many times.

For her artistry, she has a tiny thin body so when she moves artistically, it looks even more delicate and artistic.  

Her expression is wonderful especially at the age of only 15, it's amazing.

She will be in a big growing season from next year, but hopefully she will be able to keep her style and ability and keep on improving.

I love the choreography and the music of Free program.
Very story- telling and the music sounds mysterious.

I'm so happy to find another my favorite skater !

Congratulations on winning a first GPS senior competition !

Amazing talent !



Satoko Miyahara


2015 Skate America - Satoko Miyahara FS NBC 

 


She is another of my favorite skaters in this competition.
I often enjoy her skating. My husband said he's never bored watching her skating.  She is a lovely skater who cares for each detail of artistic movement.

Her jumps are small, however  they are powerful and beautiful to watch and looks light.

I especially love her free program performance with the music "Consolation" by Franz Liszt.

I've heard that the theme of this program is first love. 
Showing the sentimental romantic feeling of first love.

Very lovely.

I think she has her own style of skating.
It's still beginning of the season, but her artistry looks already great.

Congratulations on winning the bronze medal !



Men

Shoma Uno

2015 Skate America - Shoma Uno FS NBCSN 

 

Another super talented young star !!!

I don't watch junior skating, so I only know him since this season.

My husband and I both were very inspired by his performances in this event.

There are a only a few beautiful artistic skaters like Jason Brown who have full of personality on ice.

And since Stephane Lambiel and Daisuke Takahashi both had retired, we haven't seen these types of artistic skaters who have big impact on ice, and we both felt like he is a similar type of skater who has power, speed , art, and smoothness of skating.

His expression and emotion are impressive as well.
Very manly, but artistic.

Most of his body movements are well balanced, besides that speed and power.

I can't believe he is still 17 years old and already has such a skill besides quads.  and his jumps are huge.

I won't say his movements are excellent , but the balance between his arm, shoulder, body, lower back and legs movements are balanced,  only his hand and finger tip movements can improve more to make better artistry.

I especially love his free program performance in this competition.

I'm very looking forward to seeing his future performance.

Congratulations !



Jason Brown

2015 Skate America - Jason Brown FS NBCSN 


 

I was thrilled to watch his skating in his Free program.

One of my favorite parts of Jason is he is optimistic and always looks happy no matter the placement he got.

He was 8 th placement after short program, so I was worried about that he may be really disappointed for the result.

But he was tweeting below

" Had a blast performing tonight! Thanks for being such an incredible crowd! Love you guys!! "

I've never seen Jason look  disappointed or unhappy since I knew him.

I remember that his coach was talking about that she and Jason always see glass is half full, rather than half empty.

It shows Jason always sees something good and grateful in the situation.

and as a result, he got bronze medal from 8th placement.
I really understand this is how vibrational energy works.

About Jason's program, music and performances in this event,

His skating is always pleasure to watch because every detail of his movement is sensitivily  beautiful, from toe to finger tips.

I think he is the most beautiful skater in present skaters.
Plus his original way of skating, I will never bored to watch him skating.

Artistically he is the greatest, just his triple axel and quad jumps need to practice more to be consistent to win.

I love both of his programs this season, but my favorite is still his last season's free program.  because the music and choreography was very dramatic and had ups and downs.

For this music, my husband is saying that if this was not performed by Jason's beautiful skating, he would be zzzzzzz... 

Thank you for the beautiful performance again !

Congratulation !



It's still beginning of the season, so I can not comment for  more than the performance, I was interested in the programs and music.



So far my favorite programs and music are


* Evgenia Medvedeva's FP

* Adam Rippon's SP   "Who wants to live forever" by Queen

* Satoko Miyahara's FP  "Consolation" by Franz Liszt

* Shoma Uno's FP




NBC Broadcast Date for 
2015- 2016 figure skating competitions

(Grand Prix Series)

Nov. 1, 2015  -  2015 Skate Canada International4:30-6 p.m. NBC

Nov. 8, 2015 -  2015 Cup of China  12-1:30 p.m. NBC

Nov.15, 2015 -  2015 Trophee Bompard 12-2 p.m. NBC

Nov. 22, 2015 - 2015 Rostelecom Cup 12-1:30 p.m. NBC

Nov. 29, 2015 - 2015 NHK Trophy 4-6 p.m. NBC

Dec. 20, 2015 - 2015 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
4-6 p.m.  NBC

..


(2016 U.S. Championships )   

Jan. 17, 2016 -  Preview Show 4-5 p.m. NBC

Jan. 23, 2016 -  Pairs Free Skate and Free Dance 3-6 p.m.NBC

Jan. 23, 2016 -  Ladies Free Skate 8-11 p.m. NBC

Jan. 24, 2016 -  Men’s Free Skate 4-6 p.m. NBC

Jan. 30, 2016 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular 4-6 p.m. NBC


   

(2016 ISU Championship Events)
   

Jan. 31, 2016 

2016 European Championships 4-6 p.m. NBC


Feb. 20, 2016
   
2016 Four Continents Championships 2-4 p.m. NBC

March 28-April 3, 2016
   

April 2, 2016
   
2016 World Championships 9-11 p.m. NBC


April 10, 2016
   
2016 World Championships 3-6 p.m. NBC




Popular posts from this blog

Health tips from an extra-terrestrial named Bashar - from a planet called Essassani

photo credit: skyseeker Mt. Fuji via photopin (license)    Today,  I would like to write about health tips from an extra-terrestrial being named Bashar who is from the Essassani Planet .     He is channeled by Darryl Anka. Planet earth used to have beautiful clear air, but since a long time ago the air has been polluted everywhere.    and the cause of most illnesses comes from the poison in the environment we are in, with the polluted air. Nowadays, it's hard to find places where there is beautiful clean air. and in this unfavorable environment, he is suggesting how to live healthy.   Health tips 1.  Clear Oxygen  According to Bashar,  the air after storms and typhoons have gone away, is the most clean ( purified ) and is good for our bodies. However when there is an overdose of artificial oxygen by using tools such as oxygen tanks , this can cause a lack of water, and will weaken cells.   So clean natural water needs to be used in a balanced amo

Who was The Mysterious Masked Messenger who visited Mozart ?

Perhaps the most mysterious legend about Mozart is that of the " Masked Messenger ". This mysterious masked messenger is also known historically as the "Man in Gray" , "The Mysterious Messenger" , "The Gray Messenger". The story of the masked messenger was featured prominently in the movie “ Amadeus ".           Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart How much of this story is true ? When Mozart died in the early morning hours of December 5, 1791, he left his final masterpiece, the Requiem , unfinished. A few months later, a completed score of the Requiem was delivered to its anonymous commissioner. How was the Requiem completed and how would Mozart have completed it had he lived? These mysteries have tantalized musicians for over two centuries. Mozart received the commission to compose the Requiem from the “ Mysterious Messenger" in the summer of 1791.  The Messenger paid half the commission in advance,

Charm of Kenichi Hagiwara - Shoken

From Japanese Movie " Ame no Amsterdam (Rain in Amsterdam)" I've been into the late 1960s to 1970s generation since several years ago. I don't know why but I'm very interested in older generation's people, trends, lifestyle, scenery, habit, TV drama, music, films, etc..   and not so interested in new things much.  There are many new discoveries through checking out old stuff while reading and watching it, which I didn't know before. and about several months ago, I happened to find a youtube video of  a famous Japanese actor called Kenichi Hagiwara who was my favorite actor in 1970s when I was a kid. His nickname is Shoken and he is also a singer of Rock/blues music.                      Shoken( 18 years old) singing ”Legend of Emerald” Shoken was one of the super stars in Japan mainly from the late 60s generation to early 80s. When he was 15 years old,   he joined an amateur music group band called The Tempters as a vocalist.   A

Beauty skin care, Ninon de L'Enclos ‘s Secret of her young skin

Besides extra virgin olive oil, I’ve been doing a mixture of another great natural formula since two weeks ago. This information came from Ray who happened to find about Ninon de L’Enclos ’s amazing story concerning her youthful skin. According to the article, Ninon de L’ Enclos is known as a famous French beauty from the late 1600s. She kept her youthful skin until 85 years old when she passed away. Even in to her 80’s she was attracting many young men who fell hopelessly in love with her. She never published her secret of her youthful skin until the end , only telling her special friends about her secret formula. There is no photo of her, but seeing her painting in other websites, she looks in her 30’s when she was 85. According to the article, her face was as smooth and free of winkles in her 80’S as it had been at 20. She hated wrinkles and successfully kept her skin youthful , using her special secret formula. This information blew me away, and immediately

Sweet Food which does not get fat - Warabi mochi

I recently love eating this sweet food that Japanese call " Warabi mochi " which is made of 0 calories food psyllium in my coffee break time.   It's sweet food but I use Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of sugar when I make it. Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener is 0 calorie s and 0 glycemic and very similar taste as normal sugar. It is said it's derived from monk fruit, which looks like a small green gourd native to regions of China and Thailand.  It's not artificial so it is not bad for health so I feel comfortable eating it. Warabi mochi is a food which is normally made of Kinako ( soybean flour) & sugar & warabi powder and it's one of my favorite foods. However it's high calorie foods so if I eat a lot, it's easy to gain weight.   Because Warabi mochi flour is Starch and has sugar in it and is high calorie.  So I was not eating it. and then recently I found the recipe of diet Warabi Mochi which is made of Psyllium

Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin’s friendship Part 1

Frederyk Chopin   I’m a long time fan of Chopin’s music since when I was a teenager. Started loving his music from hearing his Polonaise , then Noctunes , Etudes … Frederyk Chopin I was using one of Chopin’s Nocturnes as my background music for my answering machine when I was in my 20s. In Japan, many of his music is famous and used in many TV dramas, commercials, movies, and mostly wealthy bourgeois family scenes. My image of many of Chopin ’s music that I’ve listened to is of a cozy, bourgeois world. From almost all his music I’ve ever heard, I often pictured an elegant, wealthy family’s world or a story about a family who are living in a luxury antique style house. Many of Mozart ’s music reminds me of a social life in an older generation, a story about bourgeois world in a gorgeous luxury palace. For Liszt ’s music, his music is very variety, ranging from an image of a sweet passionate love story for couples, all the way to nightmare horror story type of mu

Franz Liszt’s dangerous love

  Franz Liszt was quite tall in his generation, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall , long blonde hair , piercing sharp eyes, pianist' long narrow and delicate hands and fingers. His body build was very slender. People who knew him described his personality as full of charm, charisma, and very knowledgeable.  And he loved brainy women. He was the consummate artist. It seems that Liszt loved dangerous love , which thrilled him and gave him excitement rather than a stable, peaceful , safe love. Franz Liszt While reading about his biography, I was wondering why he fell in love with two princesses who were already married. Marie D’Agoult He seems to have had a lot of love affairs in his life, someone found out that he had at least 26 serious relationships in his life ( besides countless other affairs ) but the only ladies he thought about marriage was with these two princesses , Marie D’Agoult and Carolyne Sayn Wittgenstein ? Charlotte Von Hagn L

Organic foods and healthy living “ You are what you eat ? “

We‘ve been enjoying organic foods since a month ago.   Because we care for our health and also organic foods taste more delicious than normal vegetables.   Recently, I really feel the famous quote  “ You are what you eat . “   is true.   Although healthy life comes from balance between mind, body, skin care, good night sleep and activities besides food life .   Health is a treasure.   Also I realized that “ good blood circulation ” is one of the most important key to keep healthy and look young skin.   After being amazed to see Styx’s ageless Tommy Shaw on TV, I started searching about “ secret of youth “.  He looks so much younger than his age.  Also, there was an interview with Styx on CNN in the morning about a week ago and they talked about what they think are the keys to longevity and a healthy life. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/04/23/exp-kyra-phillips-age-against-the-machine.cnn  

”The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” - Albert Einstein 

Originally we were all creative because all children are creative. While growing up, many children lose their creativity by seeing, reading, hearing what many grown ups do and teach. According to a book called " Goal " by Brian Tracy, "Fully 95% of children tested between the ages of three and five are rated as highly creative. Of the same children tested again as teenagers, only about 5% rated  as highly creative. What happened to them in the interim ?   As they went through school, they were taught that if you want to get along, you follow the crowd. They learned not to question or challenge the teacher or to suggest unusual ideas. In their attempts to be liked and accepted by their peers, they allowed their creativity to die down, like a fire without fuel.  " "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grows up."  -  Pablo Picasso But if we don't use creativity, we lose it. It means that the more we use cre

My favorite ways of Law of Attraction Part 3 - Successful Wishing - Pierre Franckh

Pierre Franckh’s books “ Successful Wishing “ are another of my favorite books.     There are series, 1 to 6 , and are not published in English , but I did find them in a Japanese book store,  translated by a Japanese translator.   Pierre Franckh is a German actor ( Movies & TV) from 1959 – 2003, and is also a movie director and a writer.  Since 1996, he published many books and became a best selling author.  Franckh wrote based on his personal experiences from when he was a child . I love the way how he writes , it’s very easy to read and direct to the point, very clear how to do it with step by step instruction. Also importance of finding what you truly want.    Many people are actually not realizing what they really want and then when they get what they wanted,  still not feeling satisfied. Pierre said that before making your wishes and order to universe, it’s important to clear up what you really want and ask to yourself, why you w